10.31.2010

Too Far from Rome

A couple of days after my last post I moved into a new house and had to go a few days without internet access. This rather strange experience gave me the idea of undertaking an “internet fast,” which I’ve broken only three times to check my email (not reading your email for four weeks = very bad idea!) and now to write this post and download some of my online subscriptions. So that’s why I haven’t posted anything in so long. It’s been a good experience, and I intend to continue it for another month, at least.

Being offline has given me more time to focus on other things, including my meditation practice, which always seems to lapse in the summer (i.e., when I don’t work and therefore don’t have much of a schedule to live by). I’ve also been doing a lot of reading, a lot of writing, a lot of thinking.

In addition, I’ve also decided to end my active participation in the sacramental life of the Church. Like my internet fast, this was precipitated by my moving house, but it’s actually been a long time coming; I suspect that anyone who has read my blog for a while will understand that.

There was a time when I thought it was important for progressives to remain in the Church. I’m not so sure about that anymore. Cathleen Kaveny, in a recent Commonweal column, wrote about others who have come to the same conclusion:

From the perspective of these Catholics, doctrine and practice are not developing but withering. But why not stay and fight? First, because they think remaining appears to involve complicity in evil; second, because fighting appears to be futile; and, third, because they don’t like what fighting is doing to them. The fight is diminishing their ability to hear the gospel and proclaim that good news. The fight is depriving them of the peace of Christ.

I certainly recognise myself in that description.

I’m going to return to blogging, maybe in a month or so. But my next post on this particular blog will be my last; it will provide a link to my new blog.

PP

5 Comments:

Anonymous Sherry Peyton said...

Ironic how we reach different conclusions. I recently returned to the Church after being in the Episcopal church for a couple of years. I felt that I needed to be a voice of dissent rather than take what felt TO ME to be the easy way. I feel very at peace now.

In any event, I was new to your blog, and hope I can enjoy your new one when you come back. It is the message and not the container that is important. Blessings.

1:40 p.m.  
Blogger crystal said...

I think I understand why you've decided to leave. I don't go to church myself anymore.

I look forward to the new blog and reading more of your posts :)

10:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Henry said...

I wish you well on your journey PP. I will remember you in my prayers and I ask you to remember me in yours.

11:36 a.m.  
Blogger Mystical Seeker said...

As you know, I am not a Roman Catholic and I have been critical of the church in certain matters, but at the same time I also feel for you and I am sure that this was not an easy decision for you to make. Good luck in your future spiritual endeavors, wherever they take you.

11:18 p.m.  
Blogger PrickliestPear said...

I apologise for taking so long to respond to the comments. I've been taking my internet fast pretty seriously, "cheating" only occasionally to check my email and sometimes to read the blogs I read.

Sherry:
I understand and respect your position. For me, though, I eventually realised that my continued attendance communicated "consent," and that was not something I want to communicate.

Crystal and Henry:
Thank you for your comments. I'm not sure when I'll be blogging regularly again, but I'll have something to say about that soon.

MS:
Thanks, MS. Actually, it wasn't all that difficult when it came right down to it. Like I said, it was a long time coming.

5:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.